From $76an hour
- Assistance to Employees Program
- Employee discounts are available.
Full Job Description
FULL-TIME / SEASONAL
Camp Counselor Salary: $15.00+ P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York exists to empower kids, enhance health, and develop communities for all New Yorkers. The YMCA was founded in 1852 and now serves a diverse community of more than half a million New Yorkers through activities and services at our 24 locations. The YMCA is built on the concept of community. We bring together active, engaged New Yorkers to strengthen neighborhoods.
The summer camp season is rapidly coming, and the YMCAs of Manhattan and Bronx are now taking applications for Summer Camp Counselors. To ensure that our kids enjoy the best summer of their lives, our camps are looking for the “best of the best” prospects.
Y Summer CampSummer camp has an energy and a mystique that can’t be duplicated. Campers can be heard laughing, singing, playing, and learning in gyms, classrooms, playgrounds, campgrounds, buses, and trains. Y Camps offer an enjoyable camp experience in a safe and inclusive environment, while also improving children’ self-confidence, self-esteem, and leadership abilities.
Is this the job for you?Do you want to work for a company that is dedicated to making a good difference in New York City? The YMCA is located in each of the five boroughs. We provide exciting, safe, and beneficial experiences for over 12,000 campers.
Who are we looking to hire?We’re seeking for people who appreciate working with children and teenagers. People who are innovative, enthusiastic, and represent our four key values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. We’re searching for someone who can create a secure and positive atmosphere for school-aged children where they may study, connect, and develop academically and personally.
What’s in it for you?Apart from being a part of a larger movement and actively contributing to the development of our next generation, the Y has a lot to offer:
- Teamwork, creativity, communication, and leadership are all marketable talents to have on your resume.
- You’ll get 40 hours of training, which you may put on your résumé.
- Work for a company that is constantly raising the standard and looking to the future.
- Did you know that the YMCA was the first to invent basketball?
- While this is a serious work and safety is our top priority, we try to make our days as enjoyable as possible.
- Using our “Plum Benefits” program, you can get discounts on unique events all across New York City.
- Become a member of the YMCA. For the duration of their employment, our seasonal staff receives an individual adult membership.
Desired Skills & Experience
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Requires a high school diploma or its equivalent. Credits from a college are desirable.
- Working with teenagers for at least a year is required.
- Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., you must be available to work.
A day in the life of a Summer Camp Counselor
The summer day camp season runs from July 5 through August 27. Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., the summer camp program is open. In addition, you must attend and complete 40 hours of pre-camp training.
How to apply?
If you’d like to join our dynamic team, please fill out our online application and attach your résumé as well as a thoughtful cover letter explaining why you’re interested in the position and our company.
Summer Camp Counselor positions available at the following Manhattan branches:
Chinatown YMCA, Harlem YMCA, McBurney YMCA, Vanderbilt YMCA, and Westside YMCA are some of the YMCAs in New York City.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Individuals with impairments can request auxiliary aids and services on a case-by-case basis.
YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK | Where there’s a Y, there’s a way.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Pay: From $76.00 per hour
- Assistance to Employees Program
- Employee discount
- Monday to Friday