From $67an hour
Pulled from the full job description
- Prospects for advancement
- Program for referring others
Full Job Description
Plato Learning runs mythology-themed day camps for children aged 7 to 15. We imagine a world where monsters, myths, and magic transport children from the mortal realm to one where they are empowered to learn new skills, take chances, solve issues, and, finally, become Heroes. Plato Learning uses actors, live-action role-play, and physically and mentally engaging activities to bring myths to life in thirteen sites from New York to California.
Are you ready to join the team and accept our invitation to go on an adventure with us?
Job Summary:”Camp Half-Blood,” an outdoor immersive children’s LARP (live-action role-playing) adventure for the summer camp program, is looking for performers. Actors portray larger-than-life mythological characters in a contemporary setting not far removed from the Percy Jackson universe (think Hermes in running shorts instead of a toga). You may be a God, a Hero, a Villain, a Monster, a Nymph, an Oracle, or a combination of these characters each week. Everyone should be able to feel
On Quest Day, a once-a-week full-day adventure, I’m comfortable engaging groups of kids, ages 6-12, in spontaneous in-character dialogue and LARP, or boffer-style, combat (with safe foam weapons) in an outdoor environment. The ensemble will be made up of a group of performers that will work with a Quest Director to bring each plot to life for their specific camp.
What does that mean? (Job Responsibilities):
- Thrive in Ensemble.You may be Anansi, the West African Tricker Spider God noted for his eloquence and charm, one week and a red-capped monster who only communicates by swinging a club the next. Each week, you’ll be given different roles and scenarios.
- Embrace the Chaos. Children’s interactive theater is always fascinating and unpredictable. It’s entirely feasible that you’ll have spent one night preparing dramatic combat lines and a gruesome death scene, only for the heroes to completely rewrite the script and enlist you to be their friend instead.
- Grow as an Adventurer. Half-Blood is an actor’s improv boot camp. Our campers are encouraged to work as a team and to think quickly and creatively. You’ll be expected to think quickly and stay in character as part of the challenge they’re tackling (even when you think the kids have gone).
What skills are we looking for?
- Working with children in grades K through 8 is a plus.
- Interested in creating a world with campers, staff, and actors.
- All summer long, I’m looking forward to performing in an interactive show outside.
- Literature, literacy, drama, theater arts, storytelling, music, visual arts, science & nature studies, fencing, fighting, and martial arts are all passions of mine.
Plato Learning would like to provide the following statistic: While men apply to employment when they meet 60% of the qualifications on average, women and other underrepresented people generally only apply after they meet all criteria. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t check every box in the job description but believe you have what it takes.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Compensation. Actors earn $16 per hour. For the summer camp season, a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week is required. Time spent training and rehearsing prior to the start of the season will be reimbursed. The length of the camp season is determined by the location.
- Opportunity for Advancement. Plato Learning is always recruiting for outstanding seasonal personnel to fill leadership positions at Camp and full-time positions inside the organization as the company grows. We try to connect our employees with career-advancing opportunities outside of Plato Learning wherever possible. We also re-hire performers on an annual basis.
- Community.The Plato Learning network is home to hundreds of creative-minded heroes, including authors, podcasters, performers, dungeon masters, and many others who are eager to chat and create.
Available Summer Camp Locations:
- Brooklyn, New York; Manhattan, New York; Queens, New York; Staten Island, New York; Maplewood, New Jersey; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Washington, DC; Richmond, Virginia; Raleigh, North Carolina; Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California
- Please see the following page for further information on the summer season’s start and conclusion dates by camp location:
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Pay: From $67.00 per hour
- Referral program
- Monday to Friday
Notice about COVID-19: Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures will be revised on a regular basis to reflect all state and federal health and safety laws. All of the camps that were successful in 2020 and 2021 will be available in person in 2022.